BELLPORT VILLAGE

Gateway to hold off shows until July

Linda Leuzzi
Posted 4/22/20

The Gateway board of directors and staff has announced their summer season will start July 1, 2020.

“It’s not written in stone, but as of now that seems to be the sensible …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail
Password
Log in
BELLPORT VILLAGE

Gateway to hold off shows until July

Posted

The Gateway board of directors and staff has announced their summer season will start July 1, 2020.

It’s not written in stone, but as of now that seems to be the sensible decision,” said Gateway Executive Artistic Director Paul Allan. "We’ve talked about having plans to space out the audience according to the authorities; we’re waiting for the guidelines. We’ll be ready with the rulings and guidelines laid down by the government officials.” Allan also said the July date would allow for the phased re-opening of local businesses.

Allan said they would offer a full season. “We’re going to have to be flexible with the dates,” he added. And which musical will be first. “One of our earlier performances is scheduled to be `Evita’ and we’ve done a good amount of pre planning and have many actors lined up,” he said.

“Evita,” “Next to Normal,” “Matilda,” “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder,” and “Newsies” are the musicals in the scheduled lineup. “Holiday Spectacular on Ice,” will take place in December. Concert Series performances have retained their rescheduled dates.

As for the actors, vice president of development and public relations Scot Patrick Allan said, “our best actors we’ve had in our pocket as well as directors and choreographers we’ve worked with” have been thrilled about returning.

 “Oh my God,” he said. “Every actor has been so enthusiastic about the thought of coming back to work. Everyone just wants to get back on stage again.”

The nonprofit has been offering Facebook “Sessions With the Stars” with leads from last year’s season sequestered in their homes interacting in a question and answer format conducted by Allan as a way to keep the theater’s dynamic relevance current. Isabella Rossellini who starred earlier this year was scheduled for Tuesday.

"You’ve seen our Facebook `Session With the Stars,’” Allan said.  “Everyone has been home. Michael Baker (Acting School Director/Associate Artistic Director) has been in touch and they are thrilled. As soon as the federal and state governments give us the green light, we’re good to go.”

Walk up sales continue to be suspended, but The Gateway’s phones are open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. All internet and handling fees are waived through May 15. Those holding tickets will be honored on the rescheduled show dates and free exchange privileges will be offered all summer.

Call 631-286-1133 if there are any questions or email contact information at boxoffice@thegateway.org with information as to whether you want a call back or email reply.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment